Thursday 1 June 2023

My female genital mutilation was praised

When I was in my mom’s womb

I am hearing about her meetings with the priest.

I was an unlucky baby girl who was born.

In my birthplace,

A female child is usually considered impure.

It's a cultural thing.

That is a classic.

That is a philosophy.

That's how they live.

We cannot contest it.

Questioning a sacred practice leads to death.

My clitoris, the priest, is giving the situation a sacred date.

The priest set a time and date for my situation.

My father will invite his family.

My mom will invite her family.

They disseminated my holy work.

Doctors and nurses from the clinic next door attended.

Students, batch mates, educators, and evangelists gathered

Huge crowds gathered.

A priest is reading divine theory.

Participants are listening intently.

The joy of my grandparents and parents is present.

It is now time.

The priest had his sharp weapon with him.

My female genital mutilation was praised.

And celebrated by the audience as he did it.

Female genital mutilation has been glorified and sanctified.

 

Female and male genital mutilation has been the practice of conservative religious communities across time and space. It is a human rights violation. Fight the circumcision.

 

Dr. Suryaraju Mattimalla

Author of the globally acclaimed "Compatibility of the Death Penalty with the Purpose of Criminal Punishment in Ethiopia".

Author of "Why I Am Not Indian: The Untouchable Rejecting India's Citizenship"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment